Competencies – Key Behaviours
Job competencies are the skills and personal characteristics that an individual should possess in order to be successful in a position.
Here is a small sample of the most commonly identified competencies, key behaviours and interview questions…
- Achievement Oriented
- Analytical Ability
- Communication Skills (Oral & Written)
- Decision Making Skills
- Diversity Orientation
- Interpersonal Skills
- Management Skills
- Planning and Organising Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Problem Solving Skills
- Team Building/Team Work
- Time Management
This should not be viewed as an exclusive list. This list is shown here to give you an idea of what competencies you may want to consider and how interview questions can be developed from them.
Definition: Identifies and accomplishes challenging objectives or personal goals.
- Establishes challenging short-and long term goals.
- Takes initiative, persists at tasks and pursues completion of objective
- Takes reasonable risks.
- Overcomes obstacles and resistance to change.
- Engages in healthy competition.
Sample Questions to Ask
- Tell me about the accomplishment you are most proud of and why?
- What risks were you willing to take to achieve goals you set for yourself?
- Describe your future goals and the steps you plan to on taking to reach these goals?
- Explain a project you undertook on your own initiative that made a major impact on your department.
Definition: Reviews & analyzes a wide variety of information and recommends a specific course of action.
- Grasps new concepts, approaches and systems.
- Examines & interprets a wide variety of data/information and makes recommendations or decisions.
- Defines parameters of task and desired objectives.
- Develops results oriented conclusions.
- Anticipates problems, opportunities and needs of the organisation.
- Organises ideas and information in unique ways.
Sample Questions to Ask
- Tell me about a time you were asked to evaluate a situation and recommend a new approach. What factors did you take into consideration when analyzing the data?
- Give me an example of a potential work problem that you anticipated and resolved. What were some of the measures you took to prevent the situation from becoming a problem in the future?
- How do you stay attuned to new trends in your area of expertise?
Want to find out more? Contact Infinity Learning